Friday 25 July 2008

Bondage with Beds

It's amazing what people bond over isn't it?

Parents bond with their children. For mothers and daughters, it may be a shopping trip or over a cup of coffee (or tea - let's not forget that we are Sri Lankan!). For fathers and sons - a love of sports or maybe over some DIY. For friends, we bond over boys/girls/clothes/shoes/films/books/sex - with some friends there are no boundaries! With your respective other half - again - sometimes there are no boundaries.

With your siblings - as you get older, you bond over memories, alcohol, food and maybe similar stuff as with your friends (though maybe not the sex bit - some things are better left unsaid!).

With my siblings - we bonded yesterday over the construction of a bed. My brother is in the process of redecorating the room. He bought a metal bunk bed. I would try and explain it but I'd do such a rubbish job that I've provided the link.

So we decided to put it together yesterday. The three of us (with some bossing around from my dad!) following the instructions and all in all doing an alright job! We worked for about 4 hours (I'm sure it wouldn't have taken this long for a professional!), we didn't even think about dinner (big deal for us!), and we bonded. We laughed about memories of our childhood bunk bed and that in turn lead to other childhood memories. My brother has a knack of bringing up my incredulous moments of stupidity and then they both laugh at me! I think at one point we were laughing so hard that the structure of the bed nearly it's support from us! Not all of it was laughs and smiles though. Men in general are bossy and SL men even more so. My brother did get annoyed at the laughter sometimes - more so when it was at his expense (totally worth it nonetheless!).

And so to my siblings - for being there for me always, for helping me laugh at my stupidity, for helping me correct my mistakes, for keeping my secrets, for supporting me when I argue with appa, for helping me with household chores, for making fun of me when I cry at everything, for listening to go on about my crush(es), for lending me money and for so much more that is yet to come!

Thank you for allowing me to be me. I love you.


*Disclaimer* - I'm so sorry for the randomness of this post!

5 comments:

Spider said...

hehehe... its always fun to have such moments with siblings isn't it? i guess they really know you inside out! :)

Anonymous said...

The bad side of being an only child.. thankfully have tons of friends to make up for it... Good on you!! Always Cherish the Good times!!

Anonymous said...

Bonding over mocking of past memories seems to be pretty popular among family, it seems. Happens all the time in my family, and since I'm the youngest I usually take the brunt of it!

pissu perera said...

scrumpy, that title had me thinking of all sorts of thinks obscene before i actually read it ;) of course that could just be me.

Scrumps said...

Spider: They know more better than I know myself sometimes.

Chaarmax: Totally but I'm sure there are some perks to being an only child - like not having to share the sweets!

Air Beds: I'm the eldest and still the butt of all the jokes!

PP: You clearly need to get your mind out of the gutter young lady! ;-)