Friday 26 December 2008

The Love Affair Is Over (!)

I didn't think that it would end like this. All it took was 6 days! 6 days breathing and living it. For those of you that knew, I was in New York a couple of weeks ago. Up until this trip - New York had been one of my favourite places. Always busy - the hustle and bustle of it all, the fact that whenever you're in Manhattan it feels as though you've stepped onto a set of a film or Friends, the fact that everything is celebrated OTT amongst so much more.

But by the end of the 6 days, I'd had enough. Maybe it was because of who I went with (siblings and S - the ex).
Arriving at Heathrow T5 (which looks awesome) - I was filled with that excited anticipation that is expected when you're going on holiday; the prospect of being away in a foreign land without the dramas of being at home! The flight was uneventful and thankfully due to online check in I had managed to bag us all seats by the exits. You know the ones where you always see other people sitting and glare at them enviously because they have so much leg space.

Arriving in JFK, I was happy to be back in NY - it always seemed like a home away from home. We were staying at the Pan American in Queens and they offered a free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. Saving money is always a bonus so I was well excited when I booked the hotel. Being someone who tries to plan meticulously, I read the reviews about the hotel (do not ever go on TripAdvisor unless you never want to go on holiday ever again!) and was highly prepared for the worst. I kept telling myself that we wouldn't be spending much time in our hotel room so it would be fine. Arriving at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't look as bad as I expected but appearances can be deceiving. I'm one of these people that judge the quality of a hotel by the quality of the bathroom. And suffice to say - it was very nice.

Despite physically being prepared for the cold, mentally none of us were. The days were spent wondering around Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn in a cold daze. It was unbelievably cold but we ran out of things to do after about 4 days.

If we had more time, we could have done so much more but due to the fact that I was travelling with a group who weren't really interested in doing anything apart from shopping and the normal (overrated) sights, I ended up being quite disappointed.

I will go back to NY at some point but not for a long time yet!

1 comments:

Dee said...

are you serious? i always had this amazing idea of the big apple..oh well. sigh.