Saturday 8 November 2008

Anonymity

A lot of the blogs I read are blogged under an alias. I get why they do it. Probably for some of the same reasons as I do. You get to write what you want without having to worry about the repercussions so much - you have a masked identity to hide behind. Which is why I haven't told any of my friends I have a blog. And the few that do know I have one don't know where it is (despite the incessant badgering!). So below is an email between A and I. This is how we waste away our hours at work! I just wanted to share at the effort of trying to find out where the blog is! It's slightly long but start at the bottom and work your way up!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Scrumpy
Sent: 07 November 2008 15:28
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

A – Do you know how many blogs are on each hosting site?! Even if I told you which one, you’d still have read through a fair few hundred thousand.
So give it up.
I’m going home soon. Krispy Kreme donuts were good!

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Sent: 07 November 2008 15:25
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Which one??? Dnt make me read all of them!!!!!

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 15:24
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Yep.

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]

Sent: 07 November 2008 15:17
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

So you are with one of these?

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 15:15
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

You can set up blogs on a blog hosting site. The only two I know of are Wordpress (
www.wordpress.com) and Blogger (www.blogger.com). Both are easy to use but I am sure that there are other hosting sites out there.

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]

Sent: 07 November 2008 15:13
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

When can I read it?
Where can I set up blogs?

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 15:11
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Dude – I hardly misrepresent you. If anything – you probably get a lot more credit on there then I will ever give you personally!
Like you’ll know if I even use it!

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]

Sent: 07 November 2008 15:10
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Yeah u can use it…but only if I can read it…
U understand I dnt want to be misrepresented dnt you???

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:59
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Will you let me read it?
Lol – too cool for school you are!
Go do some work. But do I have your permission to use snippets of this email on the blog? Obviously, I’ll maintain the anonymity thing.

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Sent: 07 November 2008 14:56
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

No I just want to blog man….its seems like the in thing to do these days…
Yeah im gonna get a writer name…t-dogg or JB maybe???

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:52
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

To make friends?
What will you blog about? Anonymously?
I love you! You’re too cute!

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:51
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Ok I want a blog too now!!!!!!!

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:49
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

I guess so.
I guess a few (like 2) are friends now. And by friends – I mean, we email regularly and that’s it.

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:45
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

So you made a friend through blogging??

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:43
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

I don’t really have blogging mates. I have a “readership”! :-P
And why would they hate you? What do you think I blog about you?!
And one does text me. But that’s it.
Lol – get a blog! I think soon enough I’ll be ready to let you read it!

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:40
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Really?? Do all your blogging mates hate me then???
And they text you??? seriously??? How serious is this??
I want a blog too!!!!!

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:37
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

If only you knew!
You’ve featured on it a few times. So much so, that someone who reads it text me saying “have fun at the cinema with *insert your alias here*.

From: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:36
To: Scrumpy
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Hmmmm well I am glad you are proud innit…
Blog that too

From: Scrumpy

Sent: 07 November 2008 14:33
To: A [mailto:A@work.co.uk]
Subject: RE: Tomorrow night...

Awww! Fatty! Bless you! At least you can sleep all weekend.
No, you smash it bares. And I am proud of you.

4 comments:

Spice said...

Hmm, You know if he really wants to find out, and since he knows you might blog about your conversation, all he has to do is use some snippets of the convo and google it? But then again, I am sure you were aware of this before you decided to blog it.
As a fresher, I am very worried about what I might reveal on my blog ( the personal stuff I mean), coz it's really quite easy to figure out who is who, if you have atleast one mutual friend.

Okay, okay, let me not spread the paranoia.. :)

btw, your friend A, seems like a real sweetheart.

Gorilla Bananas said...

I don't mind who knows about my blog. "Publish and be damned" is my motto. We gorillas are very liberated about such things.

Gehan said...

haha.. i think ive said it b4, having an anonymous blog def has its perks.. mine isnt (obviously) but i guess that has its perks too.. if tat makes any sense..

btw beware of makin frens over da internet!!! there are a lotta creepy guys out there....... ! :D

Scrumps said...

Ms.Spice: He has his moments. Hopefully however, he doesn't care about finding it that much!

GB: Gorillas can be liberated about such things! They're big enough to defend themselves! How on earth did you find my blog?!

Gehan: You don't need to tell me twice! :-P